Important Coronavirus Information
March 25, 2021
Important message from Barb Wessberg, Executive Director
Benedictine Living Community-Duluth is currently providing regular coronavirus testing for employees and as needed for symptomatic residents and employees. Testing enables us to better protect our residents and staff by identifying those who may be positive, but are not having any symptoms. Once identified, we can implement additional infection control measures quickly to better care for those who may be infected. On March 25, we identified a staff member with a confirmed case of Coronavirus (COVID-19). This individual works in the Benedictine Health Center (BHC) and is quarantined at home.
As we have for the past few months, we will continue to closely monitor all residents and employees for signs or symptoms of the virus. We remain in communication with our state and local health officials to ensure we are implementing all appropriate measures.
Please check our hotline – 218-279-7607 – for the latest update.
As a result, effective immediately, Indoor/General visitation for all residents (vaccinated and unvaccinated) at Benedictine Health Center have been suspended. However, essential caregiver and compassionate care visits may still be scheduled by contacting Sarah Dvergsten at 218-522-8892 or email@example.com. We kindly ask that these visits be scheduled in advance by 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday for next day visits and 3:30 p.m. on Fridays for any Saturday, Sunday or Monday visits.
We will be doing outbreak testing for BHC residents and staff on Monday, March 29 and Tuesday, March 30. If this round of outbreak testing reveals no additional COVID-19 positive cases at BHC, visitation can resume. We will keep you updated as to the outcome of this round of testing.
Current Visitation Options Available by Program as of March 25, 2021:
- Compassionate Caregiver visits are available at Benedictine Health Center, Marywood, Westwood Independent and Assisted Living, and Westwood Terrace.
- Essential Caregiver visits are available at Benedictine Health Center, Marywood, Westwood Independent and Assisted Living, and Westwood Terrace.
- General/Indoor visits on the campus are available at Marywood, Westwood and Westwood Terrace.
Infection Control Measures
In all areas, we continue the enhanced infection control efforts that we implemented in March, including extra efforts to clean and disinfect all high-touch areas throughout the building and the following measures:
For all Residents:
Monitor and screen all residents daily for symptoms and temperatures.
- Provided a mask to wear when staff are in their room or they leave their room for any reason.
- Encourage health care providers to use telehealth when possible.
- Offer socially distanced meals and activities in rooms, dining rooms and common spaces.
- Follow visitor guidelines for each program area. All visitors must be screened and free of symptoms before they are allowed to enter with protective precautions in place.
- Screen staff prior to beginning work for symptoms. Employees are not allowed in the building if they are ill. Any employee who exhibit symptoms is instructed to self-quarantine at home and/or seek medical care.
- Require all employees to wear a face mask and eye protection.
- Employees who have tested positive for COVID-19 are allowed to return to work when they have been fever-free without use of medication for at least 24 hours, have improved respiratory symptoms, and it has been at least 10 days since their first symptoms first appeared.