Important Coronavirus Information
January 20, 2021
Important message from Barb Wessberg, Executive Director
Please check our hotline – 218-279-7607 – for the latest COVID-19 updates.
Next week will be a busy week at Benedictine Living Community-Duluth. Along with our pharmacy partner, Walgreen’s, we will be vaccinating our residents and staff. On Monday, January 25, Benedictine Health Center will receive round two of the vaccine. On Tuesday, January 26, we will be vaccinating residents and staff of Westwood, Westwood Terrace and Marywood. As we wait for the vaccine for all, we must continue to remain vigilant with wearing our masks, wearing them properly; practicing good hand hygiene and social distancing.
We have been without a resident positive test result in Marywood, Westwood, and Westwood Terrace for quite some time. This is very exciting news, as we have opened general/indoor visits for residents of Marywood, Westwood, and Westwood Terrace. We also encourage friends and family to connect with residents via window visits, phone calls, US mail, email, and visits through technology – ask about new ZOOM option. Remember, all visits MUST be scheduled in advance.
To schedule essential caregiver, compassionate care or general/indoor visits, please contact Sarah Dvergsten at email@example.com or call 218-522-8892.
Current Visitation Options Available by Program as of January 20, 2021:
- Compassionate Caregiver visits are available at Benedictine Health Center, Marywood Living Waters & Driftwood, Marywood Cliffrock & Sunrise; Westwood Independent and Assisted Living; and Westwood Terrace.
- Essential Caregiver visits are available at Benedictine Health Center, Marywood Living Waters & Driftwood, Marywood Cliffrock & Sunrise; Westwood Independent and Assisted Living; and Westwood Terrace.
- General/Indoor visits on the campus are now available at Marywood, Westwood and Westwood Terrace.
Benedictine Living Community-Duluth is offering weekly COVID-19 testing to our residents and employees. Testing enables us to better protect our residents and staff by identifying those who may be positive, but are not having any symptoms. Once identified, we can implement additional infection control measures quickly to better care for those who may be infected. Please check our hotline for the latest COVID-19 update.
We continue to closely monitor all residents and employees for signs or symptoms of the virus. We remain in communication with our state and local health officials to ensure we are implementing all appropriate measures.
Infection Control Measures
In all areas, we continue the enhanced infection control efforts that we implemented in March, including extra efforts to clean and disinfect all high-touch areas throughout the building and the following measures:
For all Residents
- Monitor and screen all residents daily for symptoms and temperatures.
- Provided a mask to wear when staff are in their room or they leave their room for any reason.
- Encourage health care providers to use telehealth when possible.
- Offer socially distanced meals and activities in rooms, dining rooms and common spaces.
- Follow visitor guidelines for each program area. All visitors must be screened and free of symptoms before they are allowed to enter with protective precautions in place.
- Screen staff prior to beginning work for symptoms. Employees are not allowed in the building if they are ill. Any employee who exhibit symptoms is instructed to self-quarantine at home and/or seek medical care.
- Require all employees to wear a face mask and eye protection.
- Employees who have tested positive for COVID-19 are allowed to return to work when they have been fever-free without use of medication for at least 24 hours, have improved respiratory symptoms, and it has been at least 10 days since their first symptoms first appeared.
- As we navigate this challenge, we are especially grateful for our dedicated caregivers, who are working tirelessly to ensure a clean, safe environment for all who live and work here. We all remain focused on providing exceptional care and services for all our residents.